Thursday, April 16, 2020

No One Watching But One (Elijah Yip - April 17, 2020)

Photo by Kyle Johnson on Unsplash

Observation, Perspiration or Inspiration: 

Last Sunday, I watched a webcast of the Easter service of a well-known church. This church’s video content is known for high production values, and the video of this particular service was no exception.  One thing was missing though.  There were no shots of the audience because there was none, at least not physically in the room.  My wife remarked that it must be tough to lead worship in an environment like that.

A few days later, my wife and I were watching a video of the Easter service of another church where one of my favorite worship artists leads worship.  My wife, ever the astute one, said after a few minutes into the video: “You know what’s amazing?  The guy is worshiping exactly like he does all the time.  You can feel the Spirit on him.  It’s like he doesn’t even notice that no one’s in the audience.”  She was right.

That little exchange made me think of what it means to really worship God.  Is my worship an emotional reaction to my surroundings?  The crowd, the sounds, the rush of joining in a common cry—is that what stirs up worshipfulness in me?  I don’t deny some of those elements help nudge me into a posture of worship, but what happens when they’re gone?  Do I still worship with abandon to the audience of One?

The quarantine is forcing us to confront these questions.  I still want to stay close to God, but I’m having to reach deeper to do it.  That’s not a bad thing.  It’s making me go back to the foundations of my relationship with God.  Isn’t that what this season about?  Sorting out the shakable and unshakable things.  Holding on to what endures.

Worship leader Matt Redman (author of songs like 10,000 Reasons and Blessed Be Your Name) went through a dry spiritual season with his church even while its worship band was rapidly growing in impact on churches worldwide.  His pastor took a step back, cut out the worship band and musical instruments, and asked the congregation, “When you come through the doors on a Sunday, what are you bringing as your offering to God?”  Out of that season, Redman penned the song Heart of Worship.  Here are a few lines from the song:

When the music fades
All is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart
I'll bring you more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what you have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about you,
It's all about you, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about you,
It's all about you, Jesus


What are you bringing as your offering to God in this season?

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for this time of returning to the roots of my relationship with you.  Help me focus on what truly blesses your heart.  Draw me close as I draw close to you.   In Jesus’ name, Amen.


An Idea:

Take five minutes and ask God, “What makes you happy?”  Don’t think too hard about it.  Just listen.  Write down what you heard (in your journal if you have one).  If God gave you a specific action step, go do it.  Bam!  You just practiced obedience, which is a form of loving God.  John 14:21.  It’s that simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment