Monday, May 25, 2020

Honoring and Following Sacrifice (Sonya Seng - Memorial Day, May 25, 2020)

Observation, Perspiration or Inspiration:  



While the Covid pandemic has set the world on its heels in an unprecedented manner, it might be helpful to remember other world events that have drastically altered "life as they knew it". Since it’s Memorial Day, let’s reflect and gain strength as we remember how generations before us sacrificed for others.


For context, here are some numbers worth registering. Covid deaths in the US as of today number just over 98,000. That’s less than 1/6th of the 618,000 soldiers who died in the Civil War – and most of them were young, with multiple deaths in many families. Over 116,000 US soldiers died in WWI and over 405,000 US soldiers in WWII. And of course, these were just from the American forces. 20 million soldiers died worldwide in WWII out of 75 million total casualties. Covid, thankfully, has not in the slightest anywhere approached such devastation. Still, we feel the pinch of sacrifice and inconvenience, and in times to come, we will likely have greater opportunity to serve principally and generously. And we have beautiful role models in our country’s service men and women.

But lest we Amazon-shopping, iPhone wielding gourmands are tempted to simplistically stereotype the life of the soldier, I thought I’d make it personalI mean, yours truly has never served in the military, and was never a ROTC kid --  I can’t even watch people get bloody in movies. 

But my father served. And many of your parents or grandparents did. Maybe we can authentically connect to their stories. 

My dad, Edmund Chew Keung Lum, was born and raised in Honolulu, went to Central Intermediate and then St. Louis Highschool.  He was tall for a Chinese guy - 5'10" and he played basketball. Pearl Harbor was bombed when he was 18 and he was drafted into the Army, along with his cousin Chew Mung. They were ferried across the Pacific via “dark ship” avoiding enemy planes and did basic training in Georgia.  He was accepted into the Army Service Training Program, and, responding to the army's need for more doctors, studied to become a surgeon. He wasn’t done in time for WWII but got called in 1951 to serve in the Korean War in the 25th Infantry.

His service in Korea began in July of 1951, when he and Mom had been married just 3 years, and they had as yet not been able to have children. He spent 18 months at the most dangerous medical position, at the front lines where he was a first responder to the freshly wounded, both American and Korean. While this was a more hazardous position, those who opted for it were able shorten their field duty by 6 months. While he was desperately trying to save lives, he also packed a gun and was said to have been an excellent shot. If you’ve ever watched the old TV show MASH, the surviving wounded would have come to them from his group. He entered as a lieutenant and finished as a captain. On his return home, he was awarded the Bronze Star medal for bravery. He rarely talked to us about what he saw and did, but would shake his head and say “war is terrible”. Once he told us about marching through the high grass of agricultural land and going to sleep in the field, only to be awakened in the rain as he and his mat floated away in the flooding rice paddy.
 
But he did write his wife. Almost every day. And the box of his letters, most handwritten with a straight and smooth hand, convey a youthful, articulate and affectionate awareness I rarely heard in his later years. But letters used to be like that, you know. Especially when they were written from a place of meaningful isolation from those you love, and in uncertain times. (Perhaps we should try writing some now?) Soldiers letters were censored for battleground details so they were kept purely personal.

I hope you'll enjoy the following transcription of a letter my Dad wrote my Mom while stationed in Korea but on a week of R&R in Asaka, Japan at Camp Drake. It has several wonderful details and will give you a feel of the uncertain, and therefore more precious, tenor of communication in that time. No text messages or Instagram. He had served over a year at the front and was 4 months away from coming home. His younger brother, Donald, happened to be stationed in Tokyo at the time and he mentions the joy of meeting him in Tokyo and getting to eat rice with him each night that week – not a regular part of his army rations!   He explains his happy surprise that my Mom decided to get baptized; he had become a Catholic in college and Mom, from Chicago, had no religious background. He also describes the startling experience of waking up to an earthquake there. 


The top picture shows him receiving the Bronze Star upon his return home. And at left is one of his return to Mom and his parents. Hundreds of thousands did not make it home.

Thank you to all who have served us though you would never know us.  May we follow your footsteps well in our generation.

And to my Dad, thanks for everything. I miss you very much. See you soon.  


 [Explanation: My mom's name is Florence, and, in the way pet names develop, Dad called her Phob, probably connecting to Phoebe and then short to Phob]

18 May 53 – Monday

Dearest Phob-
I was very much surprised and slightly worried when I was paged yesterday for an incoming long-distance call from Honolulu. Very unexpected! In the first place, no one at home knew I was at Camp Drake. And as a matter of fact, I made an appointment at the American Telephone Co. for a call to Chicago, assuming you were already there. This I cancelled as soon as I was notified of your call.

It made me extremely happy to be able to talk to you again. From my end the reception was very good, especially on the 2nd frequency. You sounded as though you were next to me. I was home-sick and love-sick after our call was completed. I miss you considerably, am everlasting thinking of you. I hope I sounded clear to you. Did I make sense in my conversation?

After our call was completed, which was 4 in the afternoon, I joined Donald [his younger brother who was stationed in Japan] in Tokyo for supper. He was overjoyed learning his civilian clothes were on the way and everybody at home is all right. He also was surprised you located and called me at Camp Drake. We had a Chinese dinner, then went to a show at Ernie Pyle. Since meeting him last Monday, we have had dinner together every nite, and usually seeing a movie afterwards.

I was extremely happy to learn from your own voice that you received the Sacrament of Baptism on your birthday and were confirmed 3 days later. I know you always carried the Faith in your heart and though prepared, wanted to learn more of it materially. God bless you, my sweet, and may He grant you lastingly an increase in Faith, Hope & Charity. And may our Blessed Virgin forever intercede for you & your prayers.

Last night I remained in Tokyo, staying in the Air Force Officers billeting Hotel. (Didn’t have to pay a cent). This A.M. about 7 I was awakened by an earthquake – the first I ever experienced in Japan. I wasn’t alarmed, realizing it was an earthquake for my bed was moving from side to side, forward & backwards – lasting 2-3 minutes. But frightened because I was on the 7th floor. What an exasperating sensation!

I will be leaving for Korea tomorrow morning around 10 AM by air. Hope to join my unit later in the afternoon or the latest, the following morning.

At the present I’m waiting for Donald to join me for dinner in Tokyo. We’ve been eating rice nightly. I sure miss it a lot. The Chinese cooking here still can’t beat those of home.

Take care of yourself, sweet. And give my love to all at home. May our Lord be merciful to us, and may the remaining 4 months speed along with His Grace.

Most lovingly – Ed.

Prayer:

Lord, we can never rightly honor all the soldiers, and their families, who willingly paid the ultimate sacrifice to protect and defend our country. Please bless them and be gracious to them. Thank you for these amazing individuals who came to serve from thousands of cultural and family contexts, alive with plans, humor, romance and dreams for a long and better future. Help us, God, to remember we enjoy the incomparable benefits of being Americans because of their sacrifices. Help us follow their example of “putting our money where our mouth is”. Especially in our coming months of need, help us follow suit and live and give with gratitude, humility and courageous principle. Amen.


An Idea:

Find a family who lost a soldier in service and ask them to tell you a story about that loved one and write it down for them. Or, as I did, transcribe a letter or two for a surviving family member. Then, share it with your family, and express honor for them with younger friends or those who don't personally know a veteran.


No comments:

Post a Comment