Friday, May 29, 2020

Let Go of the Old and Embrace the New (Larissa Marks - May 29, 2020)


Observation, Perspiration or Inspiration: 


I was once on a prayer retreat at a Benedictine monastery. This monastery had a beautiful, lush garden, and in the middle of the garden there was a stone path in the form of a large labyrinth. One of the monks of the monastery invited me to journey through the labyrinth, and explained it in this way - the labyrinth is a symbol for the journey to the center, both to our own center and to the center that is God. As you walk along the curving, yet purposeful pathway, you allow the old to fall away. In the center you find yourself and God, and in that place, receive the new that God has for you - new purpose, new identity, new wisdom. Then you journey again back out into the world with the new that you received.

As we have all been sheltering-in-place, I've been thinking about how much life currently feels like the journey through the labyrinth. It's been a winding road, perhaps disorienting at times. But the center is there, and once we reach it, we experience a deeper sense of ourselves and God. And now as restrictions are being lifted, maybe it's time to begin the journey back out.

I've had some notable "journey through the labyrinth" moments during the last few months. I have seen more clearly how God is in control and I am not. I have learned how much I am addicted to busyness and activity, and how that stems from an avoidance of things I'm afraid of. I have experienced God giving me permission to be more aware and authentic with my feelings and thoughts, which I often dismiss and ignore. And as I see myself and God more clearly, I am able to identify old ways of being that I need to release, and embrace new ways of being that God has for me.

It could be easy to be so focused on things opening back up that we miss the deep, transformative work of God. I hope and pray we would allow ourselves to receive all that God intends for us. Then perhaps we won't go back to life as usual, but head into an altogether new and transformed life.

What has the journey been like for you? What old things have you allowed to fall away? What new things have you received?


Prayer:


God, help us to allow your transformative work in us. Give us the faith and courage to let go of the old, and embrace the new. I pray that none of us would leave this season unchanged by you. Thank you, Jesus. Amen.

An Idea:


Take a moment to contemplate with God - what is something old he's inviting you to release? What is something new he's inviting you to receive?


No comments:

Post a Comment