Friday, June 19, 2020

The Embrace That Lets Me Let Go (Elijah Yip - June 19, 2020)

Photo by Marco Bianchetti on Unsplash


Observation, Perspiration or Inspiration: 

I’ve been dealing with rage lately.  It’s not the recent controversy over racism and police brutality I’m talking about, though I suppose my experience could apply to any rage-inducing situation including that one.  No, I’m referring to my work. 

As a civil litigator (in layman terms, a lawyer who works on lawsuits), I deal with disputes daily.  Most times, the lawyers on the opposite side are cordial enough.  We might have to navigate through the contentious positions of our respective clients, but we manage to keep it civil. 

Every so often, I come across someone whose litigation style I can’t describe any other way than “nasty.”  These are the kinds of lawyers who bully their way through a case.  They take unreasonably aggressive positions that drive up tempers and costs.  Baseless accusations are their weapon of choice.  They mischaracterize innocent actions as grave miscarriages of justice while refusing to own up to their mistakes.

Lately, I’ve been dealing with members of the species Lawyerus Toxica.  My natural inclination is to give in to my base instincts – call out their bad behavior, retaliate with barbs of my own, send emails brimming with snark.  And then there are my inner thoughts.  I tend to see the opposing side as my enemy.  I’d like to belittle and bad-mouth them to anyone who cares to listen.  I might never actually do these things, but I want to.

That isn’t the place I should or want to be.  Even if I see these lawyers as my enemies, Jesus says enemies are to be loved.  (Matt. 5:44)  So each day I examine the motivations behind how I respond to my adversaries, checking for alignment with the Holy Spirit.  I collect my bitterness and anger and drain it at the foot of the Cross.  It’s a worthy exercise, but frankly, it’s tiresome.  I wouldn’t do it but for the fear of the Lord.

The phrase “fear of the Lord” gets a bad rap.  It conjures thoughts of a watchful judge in the sky, a cosmic Big Brother of sorts, waiting to strike us down for the slightest infraction.  That’s not the fear of the Lord.  You know why I purge daily? Because loving my enemies doesn’t mean I stop fighting them – my clients hired me to fight on their behalf – but to fight with a pure heart.  Why?  “Blessed are the pure in heart for they see God.”  (Matt. 5:8)  Never do I want to lose sight of Jesus.  I don’t want my thirst for vengeance to cloud my vision of the One whose presence I crave.  Apart from Christ, I wither.  Fear of letting sin separate me from my Beloved is what drives me to purge.

That’s why I choose to cling to Jesus rather than the poisonous rage that seeks self-vindication.  I go to him, and his lovingkindness and tenderness overwhelm me.  Any offense I hold on to melts away.  I turn over the false accusations, frustrations, and fury to him, and he gives me dignity, peace, and freedom.  A beautiful exchange.  It’s the embrace of Jesus that lets me let go of the hurt from others’ sins.  Cleansed of all vitriol, I see the world through his eyes, a Kingdom reigned by paradoxical peace.  A world where no one is too far from the love of God – even an enemy.

Prayer:

Lord, you know there are lots of people who hurt us (or who want to).  Please help me to forgive and love them as you would.  Embrace me and set me free.  Thank you.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.


An Idea:

The next time you feel like lashing out at someone who’s hurt you, stop for a moment and imagine what he or she was like as an infant and also how he or she might be at the last moments of life.  The Lord sees a person through the lens of eternity.  Consider how the Lord’s vision of that person might affect your perspective.


1 comment: