Monday, May 11, 2020

Perfect Love (Elijah Yip - May 11, 2020)


Observation, Perspiration or Inspiration: 

As many households see their familiar routines tossed out the window, frustrations are mounting.  School and work are different.  So is family life.  Some tasks take longer, some are harder.  Some can’t even be done.  Things don’t always turn out the way we expect.  How annoying!

Long before the pandemic hit, I realized I’m a perfectionist.  I’m not exactly proud of my perfectionism.  I used to be, but not anymore.  I know perfectionism is a character flaw because I get angry when my tolerance for deviation from my standards is exceeded.  The anger then spreads like a coronavirus spewed from the sneeze of an unmasked carrier less than six feet away.  Last time I checked, anger isn’t part of the fruit of the Spirit. 

My anger index is spiking more than usual these days, and that bothers me.  Clearly, I need to confront my perfectionism and talk to God about why it bugs me so much to have my expectations violated.

One question I ask God is, what’s wrong with wanting to do things well?  My standards are aimed at quality and efficiency, I argue.  Aren’t those honorable aims?  This is basically how the Lord answered me:

You’re right that excellence is a virtue.  It(’s good to do things well.  But why do you get angry when things don’t go the way they should?  And why do you get upset when others muck up your plans to do things a certain way?  Son, your standards are preventing you from loving others and yourself.  You’re playing judge.  Legalism is stealing your peace.

Ouch!  Painful as it might be to admit it, God is right (He always is).  

Here's how I would sum up the problem with perfectionism. 

Perfectionism is the legalistic perversion of excellence.  Excellence is intrinsic to the Kingdom of God, and we should rejoice in it.  It is right to take pleasure in the goodness and beauty of a job well done.  God did just that after each day of Creation.  Genesis 1:1-31.

Perfectionism, by contrast, isn’t about enjoyment.  The focus of perfectionism is compliance with a standard or expectation.  Perfectionism metes out love (or punishment) based on how well one complies.  The perfectionist’s mindset is that people who fall below a standard, including themselves, are [insert your favorite negative adjective], and that spawns disappointment, guilt, and offense.

So what’s the remedy?  I’m still figuring that out, but I know it has something to do with grace.  God is perfect and his works are perfect.  How heart-wrenching it must be for God, then, to see his creations ruined by sin.  Talk about a perfectionist’s nightmare.  God could have rejected us all and sulked.  Instead, he chased after us and redeemed us because of his love.

There it is—love.  That seems to be the key.  Shift the focus from compliance to love.  Love for excellence.  Love for beauty.  Most importantly, love for the only one who is truly perfect.  And if I love God, then I will love what he loves most: You and me.

Prayer:

I love that you are perfect, Father God, and that you designed me like you to crave perfection.  I also want to love perfectly like you do.  I need your help.  Thank you!  In Jesus’ name, Amen. 


An Idea:

Practice the art of enjoyment.  Take time to savor things.  It could be something as simple as a cup of coffee.  Notice its flavor, the way it sloshes around in your mouth.  Appreciate the cup you’re using.  Look at its design.  Think about what went into making it.  Increasing our capacity for enjoyment diminishes our inclination to criticize and complain.


No comments:

Post a Comment